Thursday, January 8, 2009

Chapter 1

So I'm going to try to keep this story as true to what's happening in the season as possible. Only change is this chapter. I had to invent a game that never happened to make the story work, but from the next chapter on everything will be based around real events and games. Hope you enjoy!





“Aunt Tanner, are you awake?” I heard a voice yell jolting me out of a nice deep sleep. I opened one eye and saw my nephew peering around the door to the bedroom at me. I groaned inwardly.

“Sweetheart, if my eyes are closed and I’m in bed, I’m probably not awake,” I told him. He walked into the room and stood next to me.

“You’re awake now though,” he said, a devilish smile creeping onto his face. I sat up and ruffled his hair.

“You’re evil,” I said laughing. He giggled.

“Come out and play! Mom and Dad aren’t awake yet.” I looked over at the clock. My brother and his wife were early birds and they weren’t awake yet? The clock said 6:30. I hadn’t woken up this early since high school four years ago.

I got out of bed and walked into the playroom with Andrew. I was on a break from my senior year at Duquesne University and I was spending the weekend with my brother’s family in Philadelphia. About an hour after Andrew woke me up my brother walked into the room.

“Daddy!” Andrew called to him running over and giving him a hug. Brendan picked him up and hugged him back.

“Good morning, buddy. Morning, Tanner,” he said looking over at me. I narrowed my eyes at him and he held back a laugh. He knew I was not a morning person.

“It’s late for you, Bren.” He shrugged.

“It happens. Thanks for entertaining Andrew,” he replied. I stood up off the floor and stepped around the toys to the kitchen with Brendan behind me.

“So you’re going to make me breakfast then, right?” I asked sitting down at one of the stools at his island.

“I’m going to owe you more than that after I ask you to do a huge favor for me,” he said. It wasn’t even 8 in the morning yet and I was already wishing I’d never gotten out of bed.

“What?” I asked.

“I’ve been called into work and I’ll probably be there until at least 2. Delia woke up with the flu or something this morning. Problem is we have tickets for the Flyers game against the Penguins at 1 and we promised Andrew we’d bring him. He’s so excited to go.” I groaned and put my head down on the counter. I was already too tired for this.

“You’re right, you owe me. Big time,” I said finally giving in. I went back to bed for a couple of hours after breakfast. I got up and showered and was ready in time to take Andrew to the game and watch warm-ups. He’d begged me to take him early and I agreed.

I stopped in and checked on Delia before we left. Then Andrew and I were on our way. I’d never been to a hockey game before. Football was as far as I forayed into sports. Go Giants! Hey, I’m from New York City, I can’t help it.

At this point you might be wondering why someone from New York City would be interested in going to watch the Flyers play the Penguins. Well, my brother and father are die hard Rangers fans. He moved to Philadelphia for work and despite his best efforts Andrew had developed a fondness for the Flyers since they were the team always on TV.

We watched warm-ups while Andrew talked incessantly about different players for the Flyers. I learned more about hockey from that 6 year old than I could have ever guessed. When warm-ups had ended I took Andrew up to get some food. Armed with hot dogs, soda, and cotton candy we made our way back to our seats for the game.

I was shocked at the game I was watching once it started. I’d never actually sat through a hockey game while my family had watched one and I didn’t know what I was in for. It was so exciting. There weren’t many stoppages, there were lots of hits, and the fans were just as crazy as football fans. I thought I might have to start watching hockey. The game ended with the Penguins winning in a shoot out. Man, a shoot out. Brilliant.

“Aunt Tanner, can we get autographs?” Andrew asked looking up at me with pleading eyes. No way was I going to be able to say no to that face.

“Sure, buddy. We just have to figure out where to go,” I told him. He grabbed my hand.

“Don’t worry, Dad and I have done this before.” I let Andrew lead me outside the rink and around to another side of it where there were other fans waiting. “It might take a while before they come out.”

“That’s alright. We don’t have to be home for a little while.” We stood outside waiting for about half an hour before I saw some guys in suits walking out to a bus. I kept an eye on Andrew as he walked up asking guys for autographs. At that point my phone rang. I dug through my purse to find it.

“Hey, Grace, what’s up?” I said to my best friend.

“Not much, what are you doing?” she asked.

“Waiting for Andrew to get autographs at a hockey game,” I responded. She laughed.

“When are you getting back to school? You missed the best party last night,” she said. She started telling me about the night before when I looked up and couldn’t see Andrew.

“Oh, shit, Grace, I have to go. I don’t know where Andrew is.”

I hung up the phone before she had a chance to respond and started pushing my way through the crowd of people calling Andrew’s name. I started to panic when I didn’t see him. Tears started to form in my eyes when I looked up and saw him walking off of the Penguins’ bus dragging one of the guys off of it by the hand. I ran over to him.

“Aunt Tanner, this is Sidney Crosby,” he said like nothing had happened.

“Andrew Evan Falco, don’t you ever wander off like that!” I scolded him. I looked up at the Penguin he’d dragged off of the bus. “I am so sorry. I only looked away for a moment and he was gone.” The guy laughed.

“It’s okay. He came on the bus looking for me saying that I had to meet his aunt.” My eyes widened in surprise.

“What?” I asked looking over at Andrew.

“See, I told you she was really pretty. She’s single too. She needs a boyfriend,” Andrew announced. I felt my face turning bright red. This was seriously not happening to me. The guy named Sidney laughed.

“She is very pretty,” he responded. I thought I was going to vomit.

“I am so sorry for him. He’s going to be in big trouble when he gets home,” I apologized glaring down at Andrew.

“It’s really not a problem. Have a safe trip home,” Sidney said, still smiling in amusement.

“Bye!” Andrew called, waving as Sidney got back on the bus.

“We’re going home right now,” I said to him.

I took his hand and pulled him along with me to the car. He talked the whole trip home but I didn’t hear a word of what he said. I was too embarrassed about the whole situation. At least I’d never see Sidney again to relive the embarrassment.

When we got home I told Brendan and Delia about Andrew’s stunt. Instead of being angry they just laughed. Why did everyone think this was so funny? I let it go and enjoyed my last night with them. The next day it was back to Pittsburgh and to Duquesne.

6 comments:

  1. Awe, her nephew is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it so far!! Update sooon

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww this was cute...can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already love it! Please update soon... like tonight!?!?! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. so far, it looks good, more soon, please so that we can truly evaluate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least Sidney Crosby said she was very pretty haha

    ReplyDelete